Instr. scheduling text suggestions

Post by Patrick Mill » Sat, 29 Jan 1994 06:40:54

I'll be teaching a graduate compiler course this spring and I would
like to spend some time on instruction level scheduling.  Things like
latency hiding, pipelining, etc...

I am looking for suggestions for either a text or recent papers that
would be appropriate for first year grad. students.  Any pointers
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

--

[There's a list of compilers texts in the FAQ, but I don't believe that any
of them talk about scheduling.  You'll probably have to use journal articles.

Instr. scheduling text suggestions

Post by Norman Rams » Mon, 31 Jan 1994 11:14:31

Quote:>I'll be teaching a graduate compiler course this spring and I would
>like to spend some time on instruction level scheduling.

>I am looking for suggestions for either a text or recent papers

There's a paper in POPL '94 by Proebsting and Fraser (or Fraser and
Proebsting?) on detecting structural hazards in the pipeline.  It's
only a small piece of an instruction scheduler, but it's entertaining
and very fast, and it looks implementable.
--

Post by Andi Kra » Tue, 01 Feb 1994 20:12:10

|> I'll be teaching a graduate compiler course this spring and I would
|> like to spend some time on instruction level scheduling.  Things like
|> latency hiding, pipelining, etc...

I hold a lecture in code generation.

As an introduction I presented the architecture of modern RISC processors,
than I used chapter 9 of the dragon book, presented some code generators
(BURG, BEG) and different register allocators (Chaitin, Briggs, priority
based, Coalgulating) followed by instruction scheduling:

[GiMu86] Efficient Instruction Scheduling for a Pipelined Architecture,
Phillip B. Gibbons & Steven S. Muchnick, SIGPLAN 86 Symposium on Compiler
Construction

[Warr90] Instruction scheduling for the IBM RISC System/6000 processor,
H.S. Warren, IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol 34, No. 1., Jan.
1990

[Lam88] Software Pipelining: An Effective Scheduling Technique for VLIW
Machines, Monica Lam, PLDI 88, SIGPLAN, June 1988

[AiNi91] A Realistic Resource-Constrained Software Pipelining Algorithm,
A, Aiken, A. Nicolau, in Advances in Languages and Compilers for Parallel
Processing, Nicolau, Gelernter, Gross and Padua (Editors), MIT Press, 1991

[GoHs88] Code Scheduling and Register Allocation in Large Basic Blocks,
James R. Goodman, Wei-Chung Hsu, International Conference on
Supercomputing, ACM 1988

[FrRu91] Phase Ordering of Register Allocation and Instruction Scheduling,
Stefan M.  Freudenberger and John C. Ruttenberg, presented at Code
Generation - Concepts, Tools, Techniques, 1991

[BrEH91] Integrating Register Allocation and Instruction Scheduling for
RISCs, David G. Bradlee, Susan J. Eggers, Robert R. Henry, PLDI 91,
SIGPLAN 91

Hope this helps,
Andi

--

+431 58801/4462  fax +431 5057838
Technische Univ. Wien, Inst.f. Computersprachen E185/1

1. Schedule Suggestion?

I have Scheduled to Take the exam of 70-29 on Torrow Evening(Wed,Dec.13).

After that , I Plan study 70-100 for about 2 weeks then take the exam on
between Dec.25 and Dec.30

After that, I will Study 70-28 for about 2 weeks then take the exam on
between Jan.15 and Jan.20.

My stuff is:
Exam training Kit Book of MS Press
Questions from internet.

is this schedule good? or any better suggestion?
Or
Any one can help me for this schedule?

from the Schedule:

I will:

Pass Four Exams of MCSD and Pass Three Exams of MCDBA 2000 Track before
Spring Festival of P.R.China, The 70-215 for MCDBA 2000 Track will be left
after Spring Festival.

2. Re Star Wintype 4000 laser Printer

3. Q: instruction scheduling text?

4. Great Wallpapers, Fonts, Clipart Site Found!!!

5. compilers = semantics + scheduling text ?

6. Beethoven CD Kit

7. Need suggestion for best text scanner/OCR software

8. ClipRegion & WorldTransform

9. Will the launch schedule for Flight Simulator 2002 re-scheduled???

10. Any suggestions pulling text from PDF automatically

11. Seeking text editor suggestion

12. Text Editor Wanted - suggestions?

13. Hebrew text editing on PC -- suggestions?