How to handle water damage?

Post by Rachelle Cassett » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:26:59

What has been the groups experience in light to moderate water damage
situations?  If a card, in a static/bubble bag and box were to be
exposed to water, once or repeatedly, what would be the appropriate
measures to take?  How do you determine if any damage has occured or to
what extent damage has set in?  Please email direct for expediancy.
Thank you.

Rachelle

How to handle water damage?

Post by shop » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:24:33

Rachelle,

1 customer had a BCN router in a ba*t under a few feet of water during a
flood a couple of years back.

They pulled all the boards out, washed them off in distilled water, checked
for problems like sediment, and then put it back together. It all worked
(not sure about the long term reliability though).

At the time we thought that they were asking for a miracle, but even the
PSUs still worked.

Try it - after you check whether the insurance covers you for it, act of
god, whether this voids the warranty etc etc.

--
Good luck

Stephen Hope - remove xx from address.

Quote:> What has been the groups experience in light to moderate water damage
> situations?  If a card, in a static/bubble bag and box were to be
> exposed to water, once or repeatedly, what would be the appropriate
> measures to take?  How do you determine if any damage has occured or to
> what extent damage has set in?  Please email direct for expediancy.
> Thank you.

> Rachelle

> --

1. Water Damage to Phone

        I had to respond to this.  The resistance of dry skin is about
5000 ohms or so, but wet skin drops this down a lot.  The INTERNAL
resistance of a human being is VERY LOW once you get past the skin!
So wet or broken skin can be a problem.  In fact, I understand that
the reason electricity is so dangerous if you are in the water is that
it is easier for the current to go through your body than for it to go
through the water around you.

        During an electrical safety training course I attended, the
instructor told us about a guy who decided to impress his friends.  He
put one hand on each terminal of a car battery to show that it would
not harm him.  When his friends were not impressed, he connected a set
of jumper cables to the battery, and then put his tongue across the
other ends.

        His tongue literally exploded.

        The resistance across your tongue is about 1 ohm.  Our
instructor told us that you can put it across a 9-volt transistor
battery and feel the current.  He also told us "DO NOT try this with
any other type of battery!!!"  The internal resistance of a 9-volt
transistor battery is pretty high, so it cannot produce too much
current, while other batteries can have very low resistance, and thus
produce a lot of current (Ni-Cad's come to mind).

        Also, if you put a lot of current down a very small diameter
wire, the wire is destroyed.  A lot of current going down one of your
nerves can destroy the nerve in the same manner.

Richard Thomsen

2. Paint won't 'save as' jpeg

3. Water Damage To Phone

4. Survival!!

5. Colorado Springs-CO-Telephony Software Developers-RJC

6. Water, Water, Everywhere (NC & NJ)!

7. Help with PowerBuilder/ODBC driver

8. water water everywhere !!

9. perl program to collect interface stats computer error rates and remember high water marks

10. Water in the wall field

11. Remote Reading Water Meter (over TELCO line)

12. Should Net access be regulated like electricity, water and phone service?