450 Baystack w/ BayStack 400-ST1 module

Post by Tony Nelso » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 04:37:57

Hi,
   We recently installed 2 450 Baystack modules with a 400-ST1 Cascade
module.  It seems from testing that the two hubs need no further connections
to support cross hub traffic.  My boss seems to think that we should
dedicate four ports on each hub as a multi-link trunk so that the data can
pass faster?

   I've looked through all the documentation I have on the Cascade module
and can't find any throughput numbers or suggestions for installation other
than stick them in and cross the cables..

   My question is, do we need the multi-link trunk?  I don't think we do,
but I can't find any supporting evidence either way.

Thank you in advance,
Tony Nelson
TIS Worldwide

450 Baystack w/ BayStack 400-ST1 module

Post by Henry Psenic » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:25:04

Although I can't point you to specific docs to substantiate this,  my
understanding is that the cascade interface allows the 450's to
logically function as one devce, effectively providing communications
between the devices at full "internal backbone" speed.... I don't have
the docs handy, but I believe this is a t least 4Gbps... way more than
you could achieve but multi-link trunking.

In fact, although I am not an authority on this, I suspect you will
create spanning tree issues by doing what you propose.

Quote:>Hi,
>   We recently installed 2 450 Baystack modules with a 400-ST1 Cascade
>module.  It seems from testing that the two hubs need no further connections
>to support cross hub traffic.  My boss seems to think that we should
>dedicate four ports on each hub as a multi-link trunk so that the data can
>pass faster?

>   I've looked through all the documentation I have on the Cascade module
>and can't find any throughput numbers or suggestions for installation other
>than stick them in and cross the cables..

>   My question is, do we need the multi-link trunk?  I don't think we do,
>but I can't find any supporting evidence either way.

>Thank you in advance,
>Tony Nelson
>TIS Worldwide

450 Baystack w/ BayStack 400-ST1 module

Post by Arruda, Juli » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:34:17

The two baystack switches in mention are connected by a "2.5Gigabits" bus,
with these cascade modules
(it is a "true" backplane extension, not a "central manager switch talking
with others over a gigabit ethernet connection" only).
The MLT connections you mention woulg give you at most 100Mbps x 4
(full-duplex), so it would be slower than the cascading/stacking.
Also, since you would have a loop in your layer 2 topology, the MLT "path"
would be put in standby by something called spanning tree, so you would end
only with the stacking anyway.
BTW, they are not hubs, they are switches (or as some folks out there say,
bridges with a fancy name :-).

Quote:> Hi,
>    We recently installed 2 450 Baystack modules with a 400-ST1 Cascade
> module.  It seems from testing that the two hubs need no further
connections
> to support cross hub traffic.  My boss seems to think that we should
> dedicate four ports on each hub as a multi-link trunk so that the data can
> pass faster?

>    I've looked through all the documentation I have on the Cascade module
> and can't find any throughput numbers or suggestions for installation
other
> than stick them in and cross the cables..

>    My question is, do we need the multi-link trunk?  I don't think we do,
> but I can't find any supporting evidence either way.

> Thank you in advance,
> Tony Nelson
> TIS Worldwide

450 Baystack w/ BayStack 400-ST1 module

Post by dwloade » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 22:08:55

Does you means you wanna add another 4 MLT in addition to the cascade module
installed?

If you wanna stack 2 baystact 450  together, cascade is the best solution
since it offer about 2.2G black plane throughput.
Howerver if you use MLT to cross 2 baystack 450 together, i think this MLT
will disable by spanning tree where prevent routing loop.  ( i have not test
it and i am not sure am i right, and please correct me if this is wrong,
thank you.)

Quote:> Hi,
>    We recently installed 2 450 Baystack modules with a 400-ST1 Cascade
> module.  It seems from testing that the two hubs need no further
connections
> to support cross hub traffic.  My boss seems to think that we should
> dedicate four ports on each hub as a multi-link trunk so that the data can
> pass faster?

>    I've looked through all the documentation I have on the Cascade module
> and can't find any throughput numbers or suggestions for installation
other
> than stick them in and cross the cables..

>    My question is, do we need the multi-link trunk?  I don't think we do,
> but I can't find any supporting evidence either way.

> Thank you in advance,
> Tony Nelson
> TIS Worldwide

450 Baystack w/ BayStack 400-ST1 module

Post by Rob » Mon, 06 Nov 2000 04:00:00

You are quite correct dwloader. Spanning tree will disable the MLT,
and the cascade modules will give you a 2.5G backplane throughput.
However, by keeping the MLT in place, you give yourself some
redundancy. If the cascade fails, the system will automatically fall
back to the MLT. I would use both, provided I had the available ports
for MLT.

Hope this helps.

>Does you means you wanna add another 4 MLT in addition to the cascade module
>installed?

>If you wanna stack 2 baystact 450  together, cascade is the best solution
>since it offer about 2.2G black plane throughput.
>Howerver if you use MLT to cross 2 baystack 450 together, i think this MLT
>will disable by spanning tree where prevent routing loop.  ( i have not test
>it and i am not sure am i right, and please correct me if this is wrong,
>thank you.)

>> Hi,
>>    We recently installed 2 450 Baystack modules with a 400-ST1 Cascade
>> module.  It seems from testing that the two hubs need no further
>connections
>> to support cross hub traffic.  My boss seems to think that we should
>> dedicate four ports on each hub as a multi-link trunk so that the data can
>> pass faster?

>>    I've looked through all the documentation I have on the Cascade module
>> and can't find any throughput numbers or suggestions for installation
>other
>> than stick them in and cross the cables..

>>    My question is, do we need the multi-link trunk?  I don't think we do,
>> but I can't find any supporting evidence either way.

>> Thank you in advance,
>> Tony Nelson
>> TIS Worldwide

1. Fiber connectivity problems between Baystack 450 and Cisco 3500XL

Hi,

I am able to connect both switches using 100Mb Cu with crossover
cable, however when I try to utilise a SX fiber connection between
both devices I receive no comms. When connected using fiber the
Baystack side indicates that it is transmitting however no data is
returned. The 3500XL indicates that the hardware is down as well as
the line protocol. I have swapped out GBIC and fiber cable to check
for phyical hardware faults.

I have played with the flow control on the cisco side to no avail.
What am I missing and what configuration settings do I need on the gig
port on the cisco switch.

Thanks for your time.

jay

2. HELP! My TIME.EXE is busted on AXP :-)

3. BayStack 450/24T Switch- Telnet Option

4. Training Videos Wanted

5. 3com NIC dies after installing baystack 450 switches

6. HELP: IBM 4029 Laser and 600dpi

7. 3com nic dies when linked to baystack 450

8. !!/1!14 DAY FREE TRIAL VIRTUAL OFFICE!!!!

9. Baystack 450 and multicast

10. Vlan with Baystack 450

11. Baystack 450

12. Baystack 450 help!!!!