"Chameleon Gray" "BTS Light Gray/Dolphin Gray" colors on Nortel 9417CW...what do they look like?

"Chameleon Gray" "BTS Light Gray/Dolphin Gray" colors on Nortel 9417CW...what do they look like?

Post by Sam » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Question from a Nortel neophyte:

I'm considering buying the Nortel 9417CW (the one with the enhanced caller
id display.)

Unfortunately, the phones are hard to find here in Los Angeles, and the
Nortel website offers no clue as to what "Chameleon Grey"
or "BTS Light Grey/Dolphin Grey" might look really like.  (Chameleons are
known for being gray???)  Further confusing things,
NetMarket doesn't list these colors at all for the 9417, but instead offers
the phone in "Charcoal" or "Ash" (in addition to Almond and Black.)

Has anyone seen these colors, and if so, could you tell me what they look
like?  Also, for those who have bought single units of Nortel phones, who
was your vendor and were you happy with them?

Finally, what does the enhanced display show before/during a call?  (I might
not get Caller ID service, as virtually everyone in California blocks their
info -- is the display mute or useless without it?)  Is
there a fix for the delay between pressing the Handsfree button and the
speakerphone coming on?  If not, is the delay still bothersome to you?

And is 9417CW is a good phone in the first place?

Thanks for any help,

Bryan

"Chameleon Gray" "BTS Light Gray/Dolphin Gray" colors on Nortel 9417CW...what do they look like?

Post by GHTROU » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Question from a Nortel neophyte:

> I'm considering buying the Nortel 9417CW (the one with the enhanced caller
> id display.)

> Unfortunately, the phones are hard to find here in Los Angeles, and the
> Nortel website offers no clue as to what "Chameleon Grey"
> or "BTS Light Grey/Dolphin Grey" might look really like.  (Chameleons are
> known for being gray???)  Further confusing things,
> NetMarket doesn't list these colors at all for the 9417, but instead offers
> the phone in "Charcoal" or "Ash" (in addition to Almond and Black.)

> Has anyone seen these colors, and if so, could you tell me what they look
> like?  Also, for those who have bought single units of Nortel phones, who
> was your vendor and were you happy with them?

> Finally, what does the enhanced display show before/during a call?  (I might
> not get Caller ID service, as virtually everyone in California blocks their
> info -- is the display mute or useless without it?)  Is
> there a fix for the delay between pressing the Handsfree button and the
> speakerphone coming on?  If not, is the delay still bothersome to you?

> And is 9417CW is a good phone in the first place?

> Thanks for any help,

> Bryan

We have that color (about 1000 2616's).  Is it a bad color?...no.  Would
I have selected it?  NO!  The color is similar to the grey of a touch
tone dial.  Charcoal is essentially black.  Ash is the typical off-white
color.  Back shows the dust, grey shows the dirt...get ash.  The Nortel
sets are sold by many Radio Shacks under the Sprint logo...same phone.
It is a well made instrument, but too complicated for many folks.
--
Post Here, Read Here - Email Here:
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ghtrout/1.html

"Chameleon Gray" "BTS Light Gray/Dolphin Gray" colors on Nortel 9417CW...what do they look like?

Post by Dave Robichau » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I thought chameleon translated to ash and dolphin translated to gray.  Almond and
charcoal are new ones for me.  I know Norstar and Meridian offer the same "colors"
but call the colors different names.  Still trying to figure out why Nortel
thought that was a good idea.

Post by Ian Gr » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Unfortunately, the phones are hard to find here in Los Angeles, and the
>Nortel website offers no clue as to what "Chameleon Grey"
>or "BTS Light Grey/Dolphin Grey" might look really like.  (Chameleons are
>known for being gray???)  Further confusing things,
>NetMarket doesn't list these colors at all for the 9417, but instead offers
>the phone in "Charcoal" or "Ash" (in addition to Almond and Black.)

>Has anyone seen these colors, and if so, could you tell me what they look
>like?  Also, for those who have bought single units of Nortel phones, who
>was your vendor and were you happy with them?

Based on my experiences of the 2000 and 3000 series in the UK,
Chameleon ash is a beige colour, like most PCs. I suppose the name is
because it is supposedly neutral. Dolphin Grey is a mid-grey colour,
like the 2000 series, and like dolphins, for that matter. Charcoal  is
nearly, but not quite black. As to which one, it is all a matter of
personal preference. By current client used to go for grey ones, now
ash is the "Corporate standard" with black for the execs that make a
fuss.

--
Ian Grey